Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Barrow vs. Chester

This was pointed out to me by InsiderInformation, but I recall seeing it somewhere other than here, from which I quote:

In 2001 Barrow and Chester were drawn against each other in the 4th qualifying round of the FA Cup. However both were owned by Stephen Vaughan. This was not against the rules, but it did mean that the teams could not play each other.

Vaughan then sold his share holding to Mr Brown - a painter working on the Chester stadium. The FA held a full and detailed enquiry, declared themselves totally satisfied, and allowed the match to go ahead. Two days after the game Mr Brown sold his shares back to Mr Vaughan. The FA took no further action at all.


***

Maybe the suits were out to smooth Chester's progress through the FA Cup? I've no idea how this should have been resolved, but I'd have to label it ridiculous.

No comments: